I really enjoy doing things for people. I like making cookies for people (especially my hubby). I like sewing for people. I like doing things that make people smile. Because I enjoy doing things for people, I do it a lot. I've noticed though that while I do a lot for people, much of it is unappreciated.
Some of that is completely reasonable. I shouldn't expect my kids and husband to say thank you for everything I do for them. I shouldn't expect my boss to say thanks for every pair of pants I hem. HOWEVER- if I go out of my way to drive someone somewhere, I think that expecting a "Thank you" is completely reasonable. If I go help someone who locked their keys out of their car, I like to be told "Thank You". And if I spend hours making a quilt for someone...can you guess what I'd expect? If I take 2 hours out of my day to go visit someone I don't want 20 minutes of that visit to be spent telling me I don't visit enough. If I care enough to buy or make you a Christmas present it would be nice to know that you care enough to visit me or at least call me a time or two before the next Christmas...
Just to clarify: I don't expect anyone to gush about how wonderful I am, (I know I have many faults). I don't expect long elaborate thank you notes with beautiful pictures of the gifts I give in your home.
Just tell me thank you and mean it. Show me that you appreciate me. Ask me how I'm doing when I drive for 40 minutes to come visit you. Or I'll assume I'm not appreciated or needed in your life and will stop bothering you by doing things for you.
BTW, this is not aimed at any specific person. I just needed to air my general frustration and remind people not to take others for granted.
1 comment:
I have this same issue. When I send a package, just send me a quick text or note and tell me you got it. You don't have to love it or send me a personalized handmade thank you - just tell me you got it (at the very least) DRIVES ME NUTS
Post a Comment