Monday, February 4, 2008

New Prophet

This past week has reminded me of something that happened in 1995. Late one night I was talking to Lydia and I said something about President Hunter. I had grown up remembering only President Benson and then he died and President Hunter became prophet. He had been prophet for more than 8 months, but I hadn't really connected to him. I didn't feel like he was a prophet.
I explained that to Lydia and she told me some things about President Hunter. I don't really remember what she told me except that he played the saxaphone and used to play it on a cruise ship. Since I was in the band at school that gave me a connection to him. After talking about him for awhile I went to my room and prayed that I would know he was the prophet. I was told that he was.
Later that week I went to seminary and as soon as I entered the seminary building I heard the sad news that President Hunter had died. I was so glad that I had a testimony of him and that I hadn't waited longer to pray for that testimony.
As soon as President Hinckley was set apart as the prophet I prayed about him and felt that same testimony that he was called by God to be our prophet.
Today as I heard the announcement that President Monson was the new prophet I immediately felt that same peace. I'm grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who answers prayers and has given us a living prophet on the earth once again to testify of him and of our Savior.

3 comments:

Della Hill said...

Thanks for sharing that.
-Della

Jordan said...

I had a really similar experience with Pres. Hunter. I wasn't sure I would be able to accept someone new as the prophet and I prayed about it. I got my answer and I've had a testimony of him and every prophet since. I love this gospel.

Della Hill said...

I had a problem once when I didn't completely trust my bishop.
Short version of the story: I prayed about it and God chewed me out for not accepting his servant. I changed my attitude and had a much better relationship with my bishop after that.
-Della