Friday, September 11, 2009

Where were you?


On September 11, 2001 I was in the MTC. I went to class and everyone was signing really fast, using signs I hadn't learned yet. Finally I found out what was going on. The MTC President got on the loudspeaker and told us that there had been an attack on the WTC.
I heard 2nd hand about the spirit of our nation growing closer to God, but didn't get to see it myself until I left the MTC in October. In fact the first baptism I helped with on my mission was Steve Nagaoka. Because of 9-11 he decided he wanted to be closer to Heavenly Father than he was, and made some great changes in his life.
I am constantly gratful to those who fight for our country. The ones that always come to mind first are Major Mike Hugo and Major Brian Mack, but I'm grateful for all who serve so that we can be free!

2 comments:

Jordan said...

The thing I actually miss about the aftermath of Sept 11 was how unified the country was in general. Everyone seemed to forget their differences for a while and believe in the same thing. I'm sad that so many people (sometimes me, too) are back at each others' throats. It was a horrible day, but the hope and closeness that came out of it were beautiful.

Lillian Wilkinson said...

It was my daughter's 5th birthday.