Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Small Changes

I've been a little frustrated lately that some of the changes Karl and I are trying to make don't seem to make any difference. On Saturday I got a boost when I realized that they ARE making a difference, I just wasn't recognizing the change.
The big thing we're working on is eating out less. This seems to be one of the biggest struggles we have, we just enjoy eating out. One of our favorite places to get burgers is Red Robin. 6 or 8 months ago this is what we would get when we ate there: a burger for each of us, endless steak fries, sodas or strawberry lemonade to drink, and a shake or piece of pie to share. This would end up costing around $35 when we added the tip, and we would both end up stuffed!
On Saturday we went trick or treating at the mall and one of the last places we went was Red Robin. Instead of candy they were handing out coupons for a free kids meal, so we decided to be done trick or treating and eat dinner. Karl and I each ordered our favorite burger and fries, but we didn't ask for more fries when the ones we had were gone, we drank water instead of soda and we didn't even talk about getting a dessert. With our tip we spent $23, and left feeling satisfied instead of stuffed.
I felt pretty good about the changes we've made, even though they're small, they are significant.
And Karl is loosing weight too.

2 comments:

Lydia said...

baby steps. great job!!!!

Lillian Wilkinson said...

I think it was Nephi that said that through small and simple things are great things brought to pass. You guys are an inspiration to me . -- Drew