Saturday, August 1, 2009

Facing my fears, aka "Return to Joe's Valley Road"

About 9 years ago I had a really bad driving experience on Joe's Valley Road. I would explain the whole thing but that would take forever. So instead I'll give you the basics. Driving to Ephraim, but missed the turnoff and ended up in Price. Decided to take Joe's Valley Road to get to Ephraim to save some time. Ended up stuck in snow on a deserted road and had to walk 7 miles before someone helped me. Got the car unstuck, then it died. Dad met me a few hours later and we got the car started and got back home.

Awhile ago we found out that Karl's family reunion was going to be at Joe's Valley Reserviour. My initial reaction was "No Way". Since then I changed my mind and we decided to go. Karl found many routes to get there, but only printed the instructions to one, which ended up being Joe's Valley Road. It took awhile to find the road in Ephraim, but eventually we were able to. It took a REALLY long time, but we ended up at the reunion, and were only an hour late. During the drive I was able to point out to Karl where I had gotten stuck and where I walked to.
It sounds silly, but I'm glad that we went that way and were able to make the drive successfully. I feel like that's one thing I can cross off my list of things to be scared of.
Next time I think I'll drive there through Price though.

6 comments:

Chuck and Nancy said...

Great! Now, you should remember it as one of your adventures.
Hope the reunion was fun too.
DAD

Chuck and Nancy said...

You did not mention that your "adventure took place during a very cold blizzard.and that you had no cell phone. Mom

Lydia said...

it is always a good thing to replace a bad memory with a good one. congrats on getting there.

Jordan said...

I'm glad you got there safely. I remember the night of the first trip clearly. There were a lots of tears that night until we heard from you. I wouldn't have wanted to go, either. At least it worked out this time and it wasn't snowy.

Lillian Wilkinson said...

Congrats on going back! I got lost one of our first nights in springfield. With the kids. it was interesting later as we were out visiting friends who lived outside of town, and I said. Honey we passed this night the night I got lost. Just how far out of town we were.
We can laugh now.
Lillian

Carrie and Karl said...

The cool thing about this experience was that we had so much fun. It was one of those family times that would be hard to duplicate completely. Everything from singing songs, to hiding in the bushes off the road to playing I spy.
Also, at the reunion I won a game I had thought about buying earlier in the week but decided to hold off on- Zingo. We also won a remote control Hummer that should be fun to play with.