Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Cravings

I think cravings are really interesting. I've heard of people who crave pickles or ice cream while they're pregnant, but I haven't had those cravings. The interesting thing about them is that I always thought that you craved something and then when you had it the craving went away. Maybe that's the case for some people, but not for me.
When I was pregnant with Kaleb I craved steak. I wanted it ALL the time. We would buy roasts and have the butcher cut in into steaks so it wouldn't be very expensive. There was awhile during the pregnancy that I would eat steak 3-4 times each week. The funny thing about this is that I really didn't like steak, either the texture or the taste, but I WANTED it!
Von's pregnancy I craved 2 things. For the first 4-5 months I craved Panda Express Chinese Food. I had some from other places and it didn't satisfy me at all, it had to be theirs. During this pregnancy I was working, so each day I worked I would have Panda Express for lunch. It was delicious. Eventually this craving wore off and I started craving vegetables. I wanted lots of them. The one I wanted the most was carrots, or steamed cauliflower.
So far this pregnancy I have had 2 main cravings as well. The first was fruit. Mostly mangoes, apples, dried apricots and grapes. There are still few things that satisfy me like a big bowl of red grapes. For the last month or so I've gotten a new craving: Water. Not just out of the tap though, it has to be COLD. So I fill up my water mug with filtered water, and put it in the fridge overnight. During the day I put a bunch of ice cubes in and wait for them to make the rest of the water cold.
This craving has a negative side effect, especially since I'm drinking at least a gallon of water everyday, most of which happens to be in the evening. So I wake up a lot in the night too.
At least this craving is inexpensive, all it has cost so far is $1- for the new ice cube trays that actually let the ice cubes out.
What crazy cravings have you had?

3 comments:

Lydia said...

The only thing I remember craving is ice I chomp it when i am pregnant and I don't even like it when I'm not.

Lillian Wilkinson said...

I have had many cravings, the only one I had that went away after I got it was during my first pregnancy, I wanted runts. I could not find them anywhere (probably why I wanted them so badly!) we checked gas stations and even the little machines you put a quarter in and get a small handful, no runts were to be found, finally my in-laws bought me a five pound bag, one small handfull and I was done. It took forever to finish that bag. during caries pregnancy I craved bread and butter pickles, I ate 2-3 jars a week. when I am pregnant I also like lettuce. which I don't usually like. during several pregnancies I have really liked salt, eating salt and vinegar chips, and chow mein which I would put soy sauce and then more salt. I have been teased that I like some chow mein with my salt. Tom might remember others, but those are the things which I am remembering now.
Lillian

Pamela said...

I crave fruit too! And my water is so much better when cold while being pregnant...wonder why that is?? And I can't get enough Sonic Ice...I love to chomp and put it in my already cold water. Pregnancy is so weird. ;)