Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Math Skills

Last week Karl and I went to a conference on how to help your kids succeed in school. One of the classes was on teaching your kids skills that will help them in doing math.
One of the things the teacher said was best to do was teach your children how to count by sets of numbers. For example: 2's, 5's, 10's, 15's, 25's, 100's. She suggested singing them in the car when you're driving somewhere. When you have those sets down do the same with all the numbers, especially 1-12. It will help when they are learning their multiplication tables.
Her second suggestion was to teach your children how to do word problems. Things like: the Jazz's score is 72 and the Clippers are 60. How many points ahead are the Jazz? Or: I have 5 apples and you give me 2. How many do I have now? How many do you have?
The third suggestion was to practice simple math in the car. Start with:
1+1=?, 1+2=? 1+3=?
Then progress and do all combinations of numbers below 10, then below 20. Then do subtraction of the same numbers. The goal is to help your child understand how numbers work together, and to help them memorize simple numbers.
BTW- These are things to do after your child knows how to count by ones. That comes first.

5 comments:

Chuck and Nancy said...

So have you tried it yet? How about plain counting for both boys?

Chuck and Nancy said...

I remember when my Dad taught Lydia to count by 2's and 5's. Mom

Chuck and Nancy said...

I remember when my Dad taught Lydia to count by 2's and 5's. Mom

Della Hill said...

When we were kids we had an audio tape that had some math songs on it. One was counting by 5s. I also really like the song about the magic number 3 from School House Rock.
Sounds like good ideas.
-Della

Lillian Wilkinson said...

I have a friend that is just finishing her doctoral dissertation in education. She interviewed college math professors to determine what skills that they wish college freshman had upon entering college. One of the over arching responses that she received was that they wished for command of basic math facts. This sounds like your well on your way to getting those kids into college. Do you wonder if this may be part of the reason so many Hugo children have been successful in post high school education? hhhmmm... -- Drew