Sunday, July 13, 2008

Primary Class

I teach the CTR 4 primary class in my ward and it has been a crazy endeavor. At first I was excited to be out of nursery, but then I realized I got one of the hardest ages. Most weeks I'm so exhausted after church that I go home and take a nap (the only one I usually get in a week). We recently had a training on keeping your class reverent and it helped me tremendously.
This week was one of the best weeks I've had in this class. My co-teacher wasn't there, so Karl came in to help me. The kids were extra wiggly because sharing time seemed longer than normal, and it's hard for 4 year olds to sit still for that long.
I taught about being thankful. First we talked about the 10 lepers (only 1 went back to say thank you). We had talked about them last week when we discussed gratitute and I think that helped. Then we talked about the importance of letting people know are thankful for what they do. Then we colored Thank you cards for the Bishop, Primary President, Primary Chorister and Library worker, as well as a card for each of them to take home to their moms that said thanks to them. When we were done coloring we talked about some of the things we are thankful to have and then made them out of playdough.
While we didn't cover all of the material in the lesson I felt like the kids enjoyed being in Primary and they all knew what the lesson was about at the end (which isn't always the case). I think I'll have to find more ways to make the lessons hands on, because I think that really helped.

1 comment:

Hollys Hobbies said...

I love the 4 year old class! You definately have to be creative, thats for sure. Tim and I taught the 4 year olds before we had kids, I will forever remember this one lesson in particular where I felt that my bounds of creativeity were tested. The lesson was on the priesthood power and blessings. I had planned this great lesson, of course not having kids I was unaware of the 4-year-old-power to change the subject on the turn of a dime, so off I went. All of a sudden this little boy Justin out of the blue yells "My big brother, he rode his bike in the middle of the street, and we dont do that do we?!" and of course that set off every other kid in the class who had similar objections to riding bikes here and there. So I gently steared the lesson to rules and if we broke the rules and say got hit by a car, well then our dads could give us a priesthood blessing-and then we were back on track! NOw my baby Madisyn will be 4 on Saturday and I am sure to hear wonderful stories of her "contributions" to her primary lessons!

I would love to come to Jordans shower, but I will be out of town for a family reunion of sorts in Idaho. I would love to drop a gift off to you for her though! Call me- 735-3850 and let me know where I can drop it off, and if she's registered somewhere. One of these days I will actually meet her!