Wednesday, October 29, 2008

I can be a therapist

I've been frustrated at my current classes. They are both about interviewing skills. I really haven't enjoyed them as much as I thought I would. I realized it was because I don't have the same style that my teachers do. Once I realized this I started to question myself and whether I'm going into the right field.
Tonight at class I was feeling down about it. At the end of class we split into pairs to practice using the skills we've been learning. The girl I was paired with brought up something that was actually happening in her life. Rather than try to use skills the way we were supposed to use them for class, I decided to try to help her my way. I was amazed at how well it worked. I could tell the change in her attitude about her situation. And the cool part was that I helped guide her to that change.
While I know I still need to master the skills my teachers are teaching, I know that I can be a therapist and help those who need it. It feels good.

6 comments:

Lillian Wilkinson said...

By jove I think she's got it!

Nice Job Carrie. Your mother once told me that she thought that the thing that would help me be a good therapist is that I care about people. Lady you've got that in spades! Yes you do need to learn technique but always remember that therapy is about connecting with a person and building that relationship. -- Drew

Chuck and Nancy said...

Carrie, I knew you would be a good therapist as you have helped me figure out how to handle the problem of a difficult sister in my ward. I found that I was in way over my head - and upset that I had allowed it to happen, but did not know exactly how to get out. Thanks, Mom

iris said...

Carrie, you can do it I know you can because when you talk to me sometimes I feel better about things now if I could only do the things that I been told to do I think it would be easier on me, but I'm a big scared cat when it comes to big decessions I know you can do any thing when your heart and mind is in it all the way. I had to trust Jay Steineckert, before I could really tell him the things that were really bothering me. I love you mom Iris

Della Hill said...

Of course you can be a therapist.
I am surprised that you began to doubt yourself.
You have it in you, and you have used it before.
Do like Drew said and learn the skills, master them, but be yourself and you will succeed fabulously.
-Della

Administrator Alice said...

Carrie have you worked with motivational interviewing. It is a technique I use ALOT and like ALOT! We each find tools that work with us and the person we work with. I think Motivational Interviewing works especially well with substance abuse issues. Alice

Lillian Wilkinson said...

Carrie, isn't it exciting when we have a break through. You can do this! good job on finding your way! When I have a hard time in a class, I leave it, telling myself, I Can do this. Kinda like the little engine that could.
Keep up the good work.
Lillie