Saturday, March 13, 2010

Sugar

There was a period on my mission when my companion and I were trying to be more healthy. We were exercising (aka playing volleyball) for 2-4 hours every p-day, cutting down our portion sizes etc. Then, about a week before Easter Sisalee decided to go off sugar. It took me about 2 days to realize that if she was off, I might as well go off too. So I did. The first week was pretty rough, but then we got in the groove and did great. We asked the members we ate with to please not make desserts for us, so they made fruit bowls instead. We hid most of the candy we had in a box in the closet, and gave the rest away. In the following couple months I lost a bunch of weight, and felt great! After a few months Sisalee gave in and ate a piece of candy, and I did too, and that was the end. Though the weight did stay off for over a year (until I got pregnant with Kaleb).

A month ago I gave up soda. I had been drinking about 3 cans a day, at least one being a diet Coke. I actually didn't even enjoy it, I drank it because I wanted it. So when my chiropractor commented that I would have fewer headaches if I didn't drink soda it got me thinking. The next day I only had 1 soda and after that it was cold turkey. It was really tough. Awful headaches for a week and a half, and a constant craving for it. Since then it's been great. Occasionally I want a soda, but I drink some Crystal Light instead. I am way glad I stopped drinking it. Last night I accidentally drank a little and was amazed at how sweet it was. It was like drinking syrup.

I've been trying to cut down on my sugar intake, but that is going about as good as cutting down on ciggarettes for someone who smokes. (It might go good for a few days, but then it jumps up high again.) I decided I need to take serious action.

Now to my next goal, I'm going off sugar. I'm planning on doing this the same way I did on the mission, so I'll still eat a few things that some people would say count as sugar (like breath minths). I started this morning and so far it's been pretty hard. How sad is it that 1 day of no sugar is so hard to do? I figure if I write it down then I have to be more committed to it, especially by writing it where others will read it. I'm not sure how long this will be for, but I want to make it at least a month. At that point I'll evaluate and see how much longer I want to continue.
So- if I call you and ask you if I should eat something, the answer is no. Thanks.

2 comments:

Chuck and Nancy said...

The first step of addiction recovery is Honesty. Admitting you have the addiction.
The second step is Hope. That really means accepting God and asking him for help with it, hoping (having faith) that he can and will help.
We all have addictions. Some we need to get rid of. Congratulations on starting.
DAD

Jordan said...

I had to go off sugar when I got so sick in high school. The difference was amazing. I obviously did not keep up with it, but it felt great while it lasted. Just remember that you don't really want it, you only think you do. I had a friend who was having a hard time going off it, so she called it poison instead of sugar and that helped her.