Yesterday was my friend Sisalee's birthday. I was thinking about her and wanted to share how awesome she is. I first heard about Sisalee from my sister Della. I was preparing for my mission and she said she heard a girl from Hurricane had been called to go to Anaheim California on an ASL mission also. I thought that was cool and figured I might meet her. Little did I know what the next year and a half would bring.
I met Sisalee in the MTC, she was my first companion. We had some struggles, but they were mainly from the fact that we spoke in ASL all the time and didn't really have the vocabulary necessary to communicate well in that language. After a few weeks we worked out the kinks and got along wonderfully, (this was good because one of my main concerns about going on a mission was that I didn't know what kind of companions I would have.)
Sisalee was very patient with me and helped me learn ASL very well. She didn't even complain when I had arm problems and couldn't sign.
I was amazed at her strength throughout my time in the MTC. She had the relationship with Heavenly Father that I wanted, and since she was nearby all the time I was able to emulate her actions, which helped me to improve my relationship with him.
I was sad when our two months in the MTC were up, but I figured I would still see her occasionally in Anaheim. We flew to Anaheim together and got a surprise, we were still companions, although now we had a trainer as well. I stayed with the 2 of them for 1 week, and then was transferred English. The 2 months I spent in the English program were the hardest/least fullfilling months of the mission.
I was thrilled to get back to the deaf branch and a stable companion who made me happy. We were together for the remainder of the mission. Sisalee was patient with me through all my health problems, although she did get mad at me a few times for not letting her help me. It was amazing how well we worked together. She has the amazing ability to make everyone feel like the most important person in the world. She has so much love for everyone and is amazingly good at listening to the spirit and following what he tells her to do. Sisalee is also fun to be with. All the members loved her and the other missionaries all looked up to her. She was extremely obedient and I believe that obedience was part of our success on the mission.
Although the work was hard, I was doing it with a friend and we had the spirit, those 2 aspects made the whole thing easier, and more fun.
Sisalee can teach the gospel so that anyone can understand it, and she has the patience to answer questions that others may consider silly, (like: is the iron rod from Lehi's dream really a pipe that is watering the tree of life?)
The last day in the mission was one of the hardest in my life because I felt like I was loosing my best friend. Luckily we both got cell phones soon after we got home and talked on the phone whenever we missed each other. Sisalee married one of the best Elders from our mission and they were very evenly yoked. They matched each other perfectly and love each other intensely.
Unfortunately he died in a scuba diving accident and she was left with two sweet little boys, a lot of memories and a knowledge that she is sealed to Daniel for eternity. That knowledge has kept her going through all the hard times. I have never heard Sisalee complain. Sometimes she is frustrated and expresses it, but she never complains (there is a difference). She has stayed focused throughout all she has gone through, and her testimony is stronger than ever. I am amazed when I talk to her, every time she lifts me up.
I hope she knows how amazing she is and how much she is loved by many people.
Thanks for being my friend Sis!
The Last Legion 2007 Svenskt Tal Online
8 years ago


1 comment:
I think that I had met her, she has brown hair and long lashes? Anyway, it make me miss my mission! It is cool that her husband were dive scuba! My husband, Bull is a student scuba school! I am sorry hear that he died it is really difficult for her and her two kids. Your sweet thoughtful of her! Tell her I say aloha in hawaii does mean hello.
Post a Comment