Saturday, January 10, 2009

Frustration

Although I usually try not to complain, I am really frustrated and want to get it out, so feel free to skip this entry if you don't want to hear frustration right now.
Today I started school for the semester. My first class is Research Methods for the Behavioral Sciences. I'm excited to learn about this subject and specifically how to actually do research. I was pretty pleased by my first class. The teacher was upbeat and seemed excited to be there and teaching about something she enjoys.
Then came my second class. I signed up for the class People and Cultures of the World. I have a diversity requirement and this class sounded like the best on the list I had to choose from.
In my mind I had decided that the class would probably discuss some of the different people and cultures of the world. I thought maybe I would learn things that would be useful in doing therapy with people from different cultures.
I thought the titles for the books for the class seemed rather focused on one part of the world, but didn't think much more about it. When I arrived at class the teacher was talking to some of the students about her travels to Africa.
Before long I realized that the class would be focusing ONLY on Africa. While I don't think this would bug me if I had signed up for that, I didn't know and therefore am pretty frustrated about it. I guess I will learn a lot about Africa this semester. Hopefully the class improves and I will end up being very glad that I took this class. We'll see. :)

3 comments:

Jordan said...

You never know, it could give you a lot more insight than you thought possible. I hope you end up loving it.

Chuck and Nancy said...

Is it too late to switch. After the first day a lot of people do.
Niki

Chuck and Nancy said...

If you stay in that class you can realize that Africa has had the influence of and has influenced many cultures.
But I agree. I would have looked forward to learning more about the far east as well.
DAD