Saturday, March 21, 2009

Free Plug for Applebee's

Tonight Karl and I traded babysitting with Von and Emily so we could have a date night. Actually I babysat yesterday and they babysat today. Anyway, we decided to go to Applebees for dinner.
One of my terrific brother-in-laws used to be a manager in a restaurant, and his wife, my sister used to be a waitress. Through talking to them I've learned to pay attention to things in restaurants that I wouldn't usually notice. One of those things is how close to empty your glass gets before you get a refill, and another is how visible the manager is. I really like going to restaurants that you see the manager, mostly because then I can tell them if something is awful, or great and I know they will do something about it.
Now that you have some background... tonight at Applebees we noticed a paper on the table that basically said that if the manager doesn't come talk to you by the time you leave then you get $10 off your next visit. I thought that was cool because it means the manager realizes the importance of it and is doing something about it. I also figured there was no chance of him NOT coming to our table.
We noticed him making his way through the restaurant and when he got to the table next to ours he got sidetracked in solving a problem. A little while later he came back to that table to explain the Utah liquor laws and why the guys martini wasn't as full as he was used to. Karl and I thought that conversation was pretty funny.
After he finished talking to them he walked past us and said hi to the people at the next table over. I think he thought he had already talked to us.
When our waitress brought our check we pointed out the sign and she said she had been trying to find him and tell him he had missed our table. She then went to get him and he brought us our $10 off coupon. Karl and I were pretty happy about it. I think the manager was frustrated though. On the positive side for them though, we were impressed enough that we both said we wanted to go back soon anyway. So now we get to go there again and get $10 off. How cool is that?

2 comments:

Chuck and Nancy said...

Did you try one of the Weight Watcher entries? Mom

Della Hill said...

Bonus.
Don't you appreciate your service more when you have specific things you are looking for and expect?
And you can't complain about 10 bucks off.
-Della