Sunday, March 29, 2009

Recycling, it DOES make a difference

When we moved to our new house I was amazed at how much trash we had as a family. In our apartment we shared with another apartment, so I was able to pretend it wasn't really us.
After we had lived here a few weeks I signed up for a recycling can, at $5 a month. It is only picked up every other week, but since we had so many boxes from moving it was packed each time. I didn't really notice the difference in our trash can though.
I just took out our trash can for the week, and as I did so I emptied all the trashes in the house and took out the one bag they filled. That made a grand total of 2 trash bags this week. So, by recycling our boxes (cereal, and bulk item boxes), our milk jugs and aluminum cans we went from having an overfull trash can, to one that the bottom is barely covered.
I know we could recycle more, but at least we're doing something to help the environment, and the little we're doing is making a difference.

3 comments:

Chuck and Nancy said...

Some weeks we hardly put anything in the recycle can and some weeks we fill it up. But we try.
DAD

Della Hill said...

In my city every house has a big black trash can and a big blue recycling can that is the same size.
The recycling can is picked up every other week, but I have been surprised at how often it is filled higher than the trash can.
Now if I could just get everyone in my house to recycle....
Really, the recycle trash can in the kitchen is 3 steps further than the regular one. And it is easier to break down a box than just jam it in the trash can, because then you have to take the trash out sooner.
Why don't they get that??
(sigh).
-Della

Lillian Wilkinson said...

i would like to recycle, but in our area, we would still have to drive to the recycle center. which is on the other side of mitchell, (its a 23 mile drive to mitchell as it is)

Lillian