Sunday, February 21, 2010

Choices

This month I've thought a lot about choices. Partially because we've discussed choices the last 3 weeks in Relief Society.
Those of you who know me well know how hard I can be on myself. I tend to look at the worst that I do and compare it with the best that others do. I also know what I'm capable of, and when I don't do it I feel like a failure.
I've been trying to change this though. I've realized that while my house is not spotless all the time, for the most part it is less than 15 minutes from clean, and that is not too shabby. I've decided that while I'm not always available to help my friends when they need me, I help them when I can and they know that I care. I've decided that while I could say that my boys have speech problems etc because I did something wrong, it's more true that they have progressed as much as they have because I am doing a great job being their Mom. I also know that while I don't cook dinner every night, or do all the things a perfect wife is "supposed" to do, I am a pretty good wife and Karl is very happy with me (and me with him).
These may sound like silly things to have to make choices about, but the fact that I have made these choices is a huge step for me. I've always been able to see the good in everyone else, so it's about time to see it in myself. I am choosing to be happy with myself and to love me for who I am, because I'm pretty special.
Oh yeah, I also chose to stop drinking soda and I'm feeling a lot better physically because of that choice.

2 comments:

Jordan said...

I'm so glad you feel that way and are allowing yourself to realize what a great person you are! It's too bad we have to make that choice, but I'm glad you did.

Lillian Wilkinson said...

One of my favorite pearls of wisdom is from Viktor Frankl, he taught that while we cannot always choose the circumstances that we find ourselves in, we always have the power to choose our reaction to those circumstances. He called this the ultimate freedom. -- Drew