In January Karl and I decided to turn off our Cable. We'd been thinking about it for awhile and finally just decided to. This has had some really great benefits; first, we are giving the boys a lot more attention. We had gotten into the habit of just watching TV and letting them play. Now we play with them. Go fish and memory are the favorite games.
Second, their speech is improving. I'm sure this is a byproduct of the first benefit, but it has been great.
Third, I'm getting more done during the day. I know the TV isn't there to watch, so I do other things.
Fourth, we're saving around $60 a month by not having TV. It would be more, but we raised the speed of our internet so we could stream videos better.
The really nice thing about not having the TV is that we don't really miss it, except when we can't watch Jazz games, but we can live with that. And I haven't been able to watch 19 kids and counting, but Karl doesn't mind that at all.
I'm not sure how long we'll keep the TV off, it might be permanent.
The Last Legion 2007 Svenskt Tal Online
8 years ago


5 comments:
Once when you kids were little we did without television for many months. I think my kids learning and reading increased during that time. Eventually, for what reason I don't remember, we had a TV again.
Mom
I remember when I went without cable - actually I went without a tv. I LOVED it.
If the boys are starting to know their letters, you might want to try Scrabble SLAM. They might be a little young for it yet. It is cheap and fun - and really can help them learn words and spelling.
Hmmm. Tom and I have been talking about cancelling dish. I really like the thought, though at this moment, I think I want to wait till after conference. though we would be able to watch it on the internet.
I am glad it is working for you, maybe you will be our final inspiration to "cut the cord".
We have never had TV/Digital hookup in our married life. Well, maybe once or twice for a month or two to watch the Olympics. We watch too many DVD's now,but we have more control of our time. Our son is a fanatic about the old shows like Three Stooges and Gilligan's Island. After you've not had TV for a while you'll watch something at a friends and be shocked at the content of advertisements and the time it takes to watch advertisements. With internet we can get conference and we read a lot of news on the internet. Our life is less stressed not having the world news blaring at us constantly. Good Luck! I hope it works out well for you too.:) your cousin Donna.
We went through a small time a couple months ago without tv.
It took adjusting because I am used to just having it on as background noise.
But lately I have had no time to watch anyway and have been leaving it off, which is nice.
-Della
Post a Comment