What were some of the best experiences in your early life?
One of my favorite experiences was holding Von for the first time. I remember him being so small and knowing that I needed to be a good big sister for him.
Another experience was going to do Kindergarten testing at Franklin Elementary School. They had me put pictures of events in order. One of the scenarios I had to put in order was baking a cake, there were 4 or 5 pictures and I had to put them in the order they happen in. I did it and said all the letters in the alphabet and I’m sure I did other things. Then the teachers talked to Mom about which class I would be in. There were 2 teachers and one of them said “I get her in my class”, the other one said “You get all the smart ones.” It was a small thing, but I knew from then on that I was smart, and I wanted to keep learning. I was one of the first kids to write all the numbers 1-100 and one of the first to learn to read.
My baptism was a wonderful experience. I have lots of little memories about it. Picking out the pattern and fabric for my dress. Being so happy to have a bubble-skirt. Showing everyone else the right way to have our hands and feet. Sitting on the front row in the chapel, next to Chet. A girl telling me it was a good thing I was first because otherwise the other people’s sins would wash onto me. Changing into a brown dress with lace at the collar and sleeves afterwards and going to a basketball game at the Marriott center.
Another good memory is sitting on Dad’s lap. I liked to sit on it while he was sitting on the floor reading the newspaper. Or when he was sitting in a chair and he would bounce me. I even remember sitting on his lap after standing in the corner for doing something I wasn’t supposed to and him telling me he didn’t like it when I didn’t follow the rules, but he would always love me.
I remember being amazed at how good Mom was at everything. She could sew and knit and crochet and cross-stich. She was always making something for someone. I loved to stand by the sewing machine and watch her sew. Later I loved learning how to make things and loving the feeling of making something. I also remember her playing a game with me and someone else. We each had a wooden spoon in our hands and Mom had a bunch of cards with letters on the floor. She would say a sound and we would try to be the first one to hit the letter with the corresponding sound. If we were right we got to take that card.
My best experiences weren’t specific times, they were feelings. I felt important and smart and I always felt safe and loved.
Prices as I grew up:
1979- Birth year
Cost of a new home: $71,800
Median Household Income: 16,461
Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.15
Cost of a gallon of regular gas: $0.86
Cost of a dozen eggs: $0.85
Cost of a gallon of Milk: $1.62
1984- 5 years old
Cost of a new home: $97,600
Median Household Income: $22, 415
Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.20
Cost of a gallon of regular gas: $1.21
Cost of a dozen eggs: $1.01
Cost of a gallon of Milk: $2.26
1989- 10 years old
Cost of a new home: $148,800
Median Household Income: $28,906
Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.25
Cost of a gallon of regular gas: $1.21
Cost of a dozen eggs: $0.96
Cost of a gallon of Milk: $2.34
1994- 15 years old
Cost of a new home: $154,500
Median Household Income: $32,264
Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.29
Cost of a gallon of regular gas: $1.11
Cost of a dozen eggs: $0.87
Cost of a gallon of Milk: $2.88
1999- 20 years old
Cost of a new home: $195,800
Median Household Income: $39,973
Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.33
Cost of a gallon of regular gas: $1.17
Cost of a dozen eggs: $1.08
Cost of a gallon of Milk: $3.32
The Last Legion 2007 Svenskt Tal Online
8 years ago


1 comment:
As I was reading your memories I was reminded of making beds, I loved changing the sheets because dad would help us and he could get the top sheet so tight and sqaure. I didnt always make my bed in the mornings, but changing sheets with dad was a bonus.
Post a Comment