
As I grew up I always looked forward to snow. One of the reasons is probably because my Dad enjoyed it so much and passed his excitement onto us. The picture above is him snow camping about 20 years ago. Another reason was that I hoped school would be canceled because of it (I don't think that ever happened). One more reason was because we would eat Snow Ice Cream. This is how to make it:
Wait until the second snow-fall in a short amount of time. The first snow-fall cleans the air, so the second snow is safe to eat, (at least that's what our rule was). Go outside and fill a big bowl with clean snow. Pack it in and make it heap over the top of the bowl. Take it inside and pour evaporated milk on it. As you pour, stir. Continue pouring evaporated milk until it is the right texture- about like normal ice cream that has sat out for awhile, but isn't liquid yet. Mix in 1 tsp of vanilla. Sprinkle sugar on top. Stir and taste. Sprinkle sugar on top. Stir and taste. Continue to add sugar until it is sweet enough. Dish up and enjoy.
I used to know the approximate measurements, but I haven't made it in at least 10 years.
Another good snow treat is snow Jello. This is much easier to make. Take a packet of Jello mix and a spoon outside and find a good clean patch of snow. Sprinkle the Jello on the snow- an area about the size of a cereal bowl. Mix the Jello in. Eat. Add more Jello as needed.
This is a really good treat for after cross-country skiing or sledding, but eat it right before you go home, or you will get really cold and won't be able to enjoy your outing.
Also- although any flavor of Jello may be used, I recommend not using Lemon. There is something about eating yellow snow that just doesn't seem right...


2 comments:
Snow Ice Cream is a favorite at our house, Maybe now we are in South Dakota we will be able tohave it more often. About the yellow jello snow, thats Jim's fave.
lillie
oh my goodness, I learned all about snow icecream from your family when I was 7. I thought Mike was crazy when he went outside with a huge bread bowl (possibly the same one he ate cereal with LOL!)and proceeded to make what I thought was a crazy concoction. I loved it right away and am proud to say that I have taught my kids how to make it as well! They asked for it just last week.. Holly
Post a Comment