Who is the oldest person in your family you can remember knowing when you were a child? What do you remember about that person?
The oldest person I remember was Grandma Mumsie. Her real name was Iva Dell Hugo (Johnson). She married Chester Everett Hugo and their son was my Grandpa Hugo. Mumsie died at the age of 94. My have very few memories of her. Mostly I remember that when we went to visit Grandpa and Grandma Hugo we always walked down the hill to visit Mumsie. She had a cupboard door in her kitchen that we always marked our heights on. At Christmas she had ribbon candy and one time she gave me a bag of it to eat on the drive home. Some of my siblings visited her after me and there wasn't any left for them. She was healthy and active up until the day she died, I hope I'm the same way.
While you were growing up, which languages were spoken in your home?
The main language in our home was English. Occasionally a sibling would take a Spanish class and speak that around the house. When Mike got home from his mission he would randomly start speaking in Spanish when Drew was around. I always thought they did that when they were talking about stuff they didn't want others to understand. I learned ASL and spoke it a little at home as well.
When I was around 10 Lydia and Della started speaking Pig Latin around me. They wouldn't teach me how to speak it, which really annoyed me. There were instructions on how to speak it in one of the Sweet Valley Junior High books, so they wouldn't let me read that book. A few years later one of my friends taught it to me.
The Last Legion 2007 Svenskt Tal Online
8 years ago


1 comment:
It's interesting hearing you call it a 'Hill" to mumsies house, I always thought of it as walking down the 'Lane" to mumsies house.
Lillian
Post a Comment